[6bone] .int / .arpa

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Mon Feb 21 10:22:02 PST 2005

On 21-feb-05, at 16:32, Brian Haberman wrote:

>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/ draft-huston-ip6-int-01.txt

>> What is the purpose of this document anyway? ip6.int is deprecated,
>> no need to beat a dead horse.

> The goal is to get the registries to act asap on cleaning up
> the DNS hierarchy.  If anyone has comments on this draft, the
> authors (and the IAB) would love to hear them!

> As background, this draft is a part of a larger effort by the IAB to
> help get the registries all working from the correct set of RFCs.

Ok, I see. In that case, I would strongly recommend including the
status of bitlabel delegations under ip6.arpa as per RFC 2874. Since
this RFC is now "experimental" as I understand. Since it's hard to
experiment without any delegations, it seems that there should be some
form of bitlabel delegation.

If only we had a global IPv6 testbed where we could do experiments like
this without getting in the way of production stuff...

On the other hand, even though the resolvers themselves don't seem to
use bitlabels, there are still utilities such as "host" and "nslookup"
floating around that do bitlabel lookups for IPv6 addresses, which
isn't good.

The usefulness of an RFC like this would be to present the whole
picture. The individual pieces are already out there (RFCs 3152 and
3596).

The june 1st date seems a bit ambitious. Why not stop new delegations
immediately, and remove existing ones per 1-1-6 or 6-6-6?