[6bone] Ipv6 Enabled Web Site

Gav old_mc_donald at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 03:15:16 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com>

| On 18-jul-04, at 23:21, Gav wrote:

| It may be your browser. Remember that applications must also support
| IPv6. But you're using Windows, right? IE should automatically prefer
| IPv6 when you have it.

Internet Explorer seems to be behaving correctly.

| You can test if you have an IPv6-capable browser by going to
| http://www.ipv6.bgpexpert.com/ Since this FQDN doesn't have an IPv6
| address, either it won't load or it will load over IPv6. You can go to
| the same site without the "ipv6" part and look at the bottom (where you
| see the address you're using) to see if your browser also _prefers_
| IPv6.

Went to both addresses, bgpexpert told me I was connected using IPv6 both
times.

| > can view www.ipv6.sixxs.net no problems,
| > however it tells me my address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a.sixxs.net does not
| > exist
| > (authoritive answer). That being the case how I can access the site,
| > and why
| > does it add on .sixxs.net onto the end ?
|
| > The address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a is on my Interface 2
|
| That can't be right, as this isn't a valid IPv6 address: it has two
| "::" sequences in it. Only one is allowed. The sixxs scripts probably
| think this is a hostname and attach their domain to it to create an
| FQDN which of course doesn't exist. Or maybe this happens in the DNS.

Whoops my bad, it is 3ffe:bc0:8000::3c6a

and on another computer in my network it is allocated
2002:cb79:cc82:7:20b3:d73c:32b1:1318.
Again,this computer will connect to sixxs.net and bgpexpert.com over IPv6 no
problems.
This computer is also told by Kame.net that it is connecting over IPv4,
although it can ping6 and tracert6 it no problem.

Is Kame.net giving out the wrong information ? Maybe it is broken somewhere.

Gav...

---
Checked for Viruses (Viri) , Gav...