[6bone] Ipv6 Enabled Web Site

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Jul 19 02:47:11 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 23:21, Gav wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Jeroen, looks like the PHP will do exactly what I want
> thanks.
>
> Now for me the confusing part.
>
> Since installing FREENET6 client I now have 9 Interfaces (I have 2 Network
> Cards and a Cable Modem)

You also have 6to4 enabled and some bridging running which makes it a
fine mess ;) Also:

Interface 2: Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
  Guid {48FCE3FC-EC30-E50E-F1A7-71172AEEE3AE}
  does not use Neighbor Discovery
  does not use Router Discovery
  forwards packets
  routing preference 1
  EUI-64 embedded IPv4 address: 0.0.0.0
  router link-layer address: 0.0.0.0
    preferred link-local fe80::5efe:203.121.204.130, life infinite
    preferred global 3ffe:bc0:8000::3c6b, life infinite (manual)
    preferred link-local fe80::5efe:192.168.0.1, life infinite
  link MTU 1280 (true link MTU 65515)
  current hop limit 128
  reachable time 42500ms (base 30000ms)
  retransmission interval 1000ms
  DAD transmits 0
  default site prefix length 48

Thus you are behind a NAT I (192.168.0.1 == rfc1918), as that IPv6 did
hit the webserver it apparently worked though:

3ffe:bc0:8000::3c6b - - [18/Jul/2004:14:49:04 +0200] "GET
/tools/ipv6calc/ HTTP/1
.1" 200 6981 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1;
SV1)"

> I can ping6 kame.net no problems
> I can tracert6 kame.net no problems. (11 Hops - wide.ad.jp using 4 hops ?)
> kame.net however still insists I am v4

Then it must be a timeout issue in your browser I assume, I guess that even
though you are physically close to the box your IPv6 packets will go twice
around the world before they reach that box.

> I can ping6 and tracert6 ipv6.sixxs.net no problems and it tells me I am
> accessing using v6 address and can view www.ipv6.sixxs.net no problems,
> however it tells me my address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a.sixxs.net does not exist
> (authoritive answer). That being the case how I can access the site, and why
> does it add on .sixxs.net onto the end ?

Can you screenshot that and mail the JPG to info at sixxs.net as I can't
reproduce it. Are you sure it is ::3c6a , especially the _a_ as the logs
show a 'b' in the end. Assuming freenet6 still uses /127's, the 'a'
would be the freenet6 side of the tunnel.

> The address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a is on my Interface 2 , I thought Windows
> used 3,4 or 5 traditionally.
> I have attatched output of my 'ipv6 if' results. Interface 9 looks like the
> one I should be using. Looks like Spaghetti to me.

Doesn't really say a thing as they can be mixed up and it totally
depends on installation order etc. On XP you should drop usage of the
ipv6.exe command in favor of netsh.exe. It also seems that there are
differences between "ipv6 install" and "netsh interface ipv6 install",
though what exactly the differences are, je ne sais pas.s

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 10:16, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 18-jul-04, at 23:21, Gav wrote:
>
> > can view www.ipv6.sixxs.net no problems,
> > however it tells me my address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a.sixxs.net does not
> > exist
> > (authoritive answer). That being the case how I can access the site,
> > and why
> > does it add on .sixxs.net onto the end ?
>
> > The address 3ffe:bc0::8000::3c6a is on my Interface 2
>
> That can't be right, as this isn't a valid IPv6 address: it has two
> "::" sequences in it. Only one is allowed. The sixxs scripts probably
> think this is a hostname and attach their domain to it to create an
> FQDN which of course doesn't exist. Or maybe this happens in the DNS.

That is the normal IPv6calc by Peter Bieringer, nevertheless it should
not be doing that.

> BTW, Jeroen: coming to Ede next week?

Nope and for the moment it seems like I will be only visiting
.nl for a few days in August and then again in October.

Greets,
 Jeroen