[6bone] 6to4 or 6bone direct(ish)

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Feb 23 05:18:39 PST 2004

6to4 is nice when the other site you speak to also uses 6to4, but when you
want to connect to non-6to4 sites you may have problems depending on the
availability and location of 6to4 relays.   Very few 6to4 relays are
made publicly available, though many ISPs support them for their own users.

In that light, a tunnel broker is more predictable, but then if you want
to reach a 6to4 site your TB ISP will need good 6to4 (relay) connectivity :)

I penned some tunnelling thoughts in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-chown-v6ops-unmanaged-connectivity-00.txt

I need to update this with architecture notes (like 6to4 to 6to4 being easy
but 6to4 to non-6to4 often not being so... and similarly for Teredo)

Tim