[6bone] A question about BIND 9 and IPv6 == A6 vs AAAA

Colin Faber cfaber at fpsn.net
Sat Feb 21 16:34:53 PST 2004

Quick question about BIND 9 and IPv6. In the BIND 9.2.3 ARM Chapter 6
under section 6.3 the 'AAAA' type record is to be considered deprecated
and obsolete, in favor of the 'A6' type record. The problem I'm seeing
with this is MANY software implementations (including ones I've
developed) prefer the older obsolete 'AAAA' type record.  When was this
switch to 'A6' going to take place, (is this a long standing issue with
DNS record types? Should site policy be to no longer support 'AAAA' in
favor of  'A6'?

Suggestions, Comments, RFC Preaching welcome.

P.S.

ARPA Net forever! Down with INT! =)

--
Colin Faber