[6bone] 6to4 or 6bone direct(ish)

Pim van Pelt pim at ipng.nl
Fri Feb 20 08:26:41 PST 2004

| At this stage of IPv6 roll out which is the best way for users without
| native IPv6 providing ISPs to use IPv6?
Use tunneling.

| In the past I have tunneled from the router to my nearest broker (BT Exact)
| but that was a pain because the tunnel would time out and then I'd have to
| set another one up which gives a different IP address...
This is not a problem with tunnelbrokerage in itself, it's a problem
with the implementation at BT Exact. There's plenty of brokers out there
which will never expire a tunnel. You may want to check up on
www.sixxs.net and use the Kewlio broker (in London).

| So recently I set the router to be a 6to4 gateway. This appears to work
| really well. My only concern is that it was too easy. Should things this
| easy to setup be the most efficient?
Well it works well if you have a 6to4 router close to your box; You'll
send traffic to 192.88.99.1 and it will take care of IPv6 routing for
you.

In terms of efficiency people are not yet agreeing on things; I find the
asymmetric IPv4 path of 6to4 traffic annoying. As an operator of a 6to4
public relay, I am also not quite content with the way things are, but
that's a different story.

Bottom line: I'd use configured tunnels if possible, and 6to4 only if
normal tunneling is not an option.

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim at ipng.nl
http://www.ipng.nl/             IPv6 Deployment