[6bone] Throughput (was Re: 6bone Digest, Vol 2, Issue 13)

Bradley D. Thornton Bradley at NorthTech.US
Fri Feb 20 08:22:11 PST 2004

                                        Friday, February 20, 2004
                                        8:13:56 AM (-08:00hrs UTC)
Hello Michael,

On Friday, February 20, 2004, 2:44:35 AM, you wrote:

> On Feb 20 2004, mamthabc at yahoo.co.in wrote:

>> Please tell me how to calculate throughput? equation?

> This is what you sent 14 KB to the list for?

> How about: throughput = amount of data divided by time?

No, that's bandwidth. He asked for throughput. For that, take the
amount of data to pass and subtract the dropped packets/retransmits.
Then subtract that difference from the original size of the amount of
data that was transmitted and calculate the percentage of data that
needed to get through and calculate your percentage of throughput.

Question, why are you undertaking a class project requiring you to
capture statistics when you don't even know how to arrive at the
formula?

Seems you would have had that part of the project down pat before you
began attempting to implement a particular technology, IMHO.

--
Kindest regards,

Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Operations