Dynamic DNS update on Windows for IPv6 was: reverse DNS considered pointless was: [6bone] Fwd: BCP 80, RFC 3681 on Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA

'Anand Kumria' wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sat Feb 14 02:27:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 03:18:10AM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Anand Kumria wrote:
>
> > Look at IPv4 to see how hard it
> > for people to manage < 2^8 in address for reverse, do you really expect
> > people with 2^64 (or more) addresses to cope?
>
> Why not, never heared of DHCPv6, DDNS and automated
> registration/scripting ? If you or your ISP can't then too bad ;)

Of course, and I use them daily.

> FYI: http://ops.ietf.org/dns/dynupd/secure-ddns-howto.html
> Using a little scripting I have also made a Windows version,
> sporting IPv6 support thus everything is possible.

If it isn't a problem, I'd actually be interested in seeing the script.
It is something I've been meaning to look at but haven't found the time
for us.

> There should be a document, which probably needs to be created as
> I haven't seen one yet, defining how to make this all work, nice job
> for the IETF v6ops group. A nice scenario on what to delegate to end
> users and how endusers can easily populate it.

Well most time when I speak to ISPs the people there only make use of
reverse DNS for:
	a. network diagnostic
	b. address description

The most common complaint I hear is that they'd love a way to identify a
particular IP (or set thereof) as being 'webcaches' and not DoS machines,
etc.

> Another solution would be to have synthesis in DNS. There is a
> special ICMPv6 which can be used to query a host for it's hostname.
>
> See draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-10.txt, though I don't know
> the exact status, KAME stacks have it, from ping6 man on BSD:
> 8<-----------
>      -w      Generate ICMPv6 Node Information DNS Name query, rather than
>              echo-request.  -s has no effect if -w is specified.
> - ----------->8
>
> Thus:
> jeroen at bfib:~$ ping6 -v -w hog
> PING6(72=40+8+24 bytes) 2001:7b8:3:1e:290:27ff:fe0c:5c5e --> 2001:7b8:3:17:203:47ff:fe3b:3138
> 33 bytes from 2001:7b8:3:17:203:47ff:fe3b:3138: hog.ipng.nl. (TTL=0:meaningless)
> 33 bytes from 2001:7b8:3:17:203:47ff:fe3b:3138: hog.ipng.nl. (TTL=0:meaningless)
> <SNIP>

Interesting, I wonder how that interacts with link-local names ...

> I still find laugable as one can usually say that not more
> than 1000 people will be residing in the same /64 or even /48
> thus people coming from that prefix will be the same one

True.

> > I think the power play has actually been really beneficial --
> > a lot more ISPs have realised that reverse DNS is fundamentally pointless, even
> > more so in the Brave New World of IPv6.
>
> The brave new world over here (Europe) works quite well, we simply
> don't use 6bone that much anymore thus have been happily using
> RIPE's ip6.int + ip6.arpa delegations.

Of course, you are in Europe and have a reasonable RIR. Over here we
have APNIC. Worse, in .au very few ISPs have been experimenting with
IPv6.

Most of them have only begun recently, and the those that aren't listed
at <URL: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/tla/all/?country=au> have an
allocation within the Trumpet netblock (a few through me).

> ISP's doing the real thing
> have already switched to RIR space a long time ago, usually after
> having quite an extensive and happy testing time on the 6bone.

Since you can't get 6bone addresses any longer you are obliged to deal
with your RIR (and few ISPs enjoy dealing with APNIC) or someone with an
existing delegation.

> > The other cool thing about the power play has been highlighting the cliq
> > involved. Previously it was all somewhat behind the scenes -- at least
> > this (terminably long) event has brought most of those
> > involved out into the open.
>
> It was never behind the scenes, it was always quite
> clear what was happening except for the fact that
> some people didn't realize it. It is the same like
> watching a soap show with someone who is following
> it totally, they know what is happening but for a
> onetime viewer it is yet another single episode.

Great, the IETF & co. as an episode of the ultimate dysfunctional
family, 'The Simpsons' :-).

Cheers,
Anand

--
 `` We are shaped by our thoughts, we become what we think.
 When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never