reverse DNS considered pointless was: [6bone] Fwd: BCP 80, RFC 3681 on Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Sun Feb 8 18:56:08 PST 2004

Anand Kumria <wildfire at progsoc.uts.edu.au> writes:
> What useful reverse DNS deployment? Can you usefully assign reverse for
> systems using the privacy extensions?

Yes, if only to give you a general idea of the organization that the
addresses come from.

> Look at IPv4 to see how hard it for people to manage < 2^8 in
> address for reverse,

It is trivial to manage them -- just generate your forwards and
reverses from a database. I had assumed most people understood that
managing multiple files with interrelated data was best done by
automated, rather than manual, means.

> do you really expect people with 2^64 (or more) addresses to cope?

Yes. Among other things, BIND lets you simply generate names
automatically if you want, and you can also use dynamic update...

Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com