[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Akira Kato kato@wide.ad.jp
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 00:34:43 +0900 (JST)

> this prefix has/is being carved up into /48 and /64 subnets for
> use at exchange points and other infrastructure support services.

> Do not expect to see it aggregated.

I have a question: do we need to make such a prefix assigned to
an exchange point reachable globally?

Provided if every ISP uses "next-hop-self" to their I-BGP peering, the
addresses on an IX is used only for E-BGP peering. What we loose if
nobody advertises the IX prefix globally (or even locally)?

If the address is not globally reachable, it is impossible to send
packets to the routers on the IX and this will be a measure for the
remote DoS attack if not perfect.

In order to make traceroute happy we may need to establish a DNS zone
for reverse lookup. But such a DNS server does not have to be on the
IX.

Akira Kato, WIDE Project
P.S.
This discussion is also applicable to IPv4...