[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:22:18 +0100

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:50:03AM -0400, Haesu wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:30:34AM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> > Yes, but a home user will want multiple subnets, so the number of addresses
> > per subnet isn't the issue.
>
> Yes that's true. Although /64 shoudl allow them to allocate /80 but that's rather against the standard, and would be just wrong :) as /64 is smallest one should give out due to it being the local site prefix.

It is the smallest mainly because of stateless autoconif requiring /64 (see
RFC2462).   Stateless autoconf requires this.

> I'll have to agree.. We are just not sure yet as to how things will turn out in the market, so I guess for now we should go with what RFC recommends.

Sure, maybe /64 will become a norm (it is at least a lot better than the IPv4
situation, especially given the "1 user" stipulation of many DSL providers).

I hope /56 or better /48 wins though :)

Tim