[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Haesu haesu@towardex.com
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:50:03 -0400

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 10:30:34AM +0100, Tim Chown wrote:
> Yes, but a home user will want multiple subnets, so the number of addresses
> per subnet isn't the issue.

Yes that's true. Although /64 shoudl allow them to allocate /80 but that's rather against the standard, and would be just wrong :) as /64 is smallest one should give out due to it being the local site prefix.

> The common RIR policy recommends a /48 per site.
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html
> also RFC3177.
>
> If your ISP wishes to apply IPv4 thinking to IPv6 services, I suspect there
> will be enough IPv6 ISPs that do give recommended allocations such that
> noone will come to you for an IPv6 service when the alternative is better
> elsewhere?
>
> Noone will force you to allocate more than a /64.   The market will decide
> in due course what is the norm.

I'll have to agree.. We are just not sure yet as to how things will turn out in the market, so I guess for now we should go with what RFC recommends.

-hc

--
Haesu C.
TowardEX Technologies, Inc.