[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:30:34 +0100

Yes, but a home user will want multiple subnets, so the number of addresses
per subnet isn't the issue.

The common RIR policy recommends a /48 per site.
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html
also RFC3177.

If your ISP wishes to apply IPv4 thinking to IPv6 services, I suspect there
will be enough IPv6 ISPs that do give recommended allocations such that
noone will come to you for an IPv6 service when the alternative is better
elsewhere?

Noone will force you to allocate more than a /64.   The market will decide
in due course what is the norm.

Tim