[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Russell King rmk@arm.linux.org.uk
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:50:55 +0100

Please wrap your messages before character 70 - it makes both reading
_and_ quoting extremely painful unless you do.

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 05:21:43AM -0400, Haesu wrote:
> I understand the need to promote IPv6, and I understand the whole point of IPv6 is to provide fullblown end-to-end connectivity by having more than enough addresses everywhere..
>
> But a /48 for a home network?.. i dunno..
>
> I think /64 for a home network is far more than enough and reasonable.
> Likewise, we hand off /64's to endusers, for those who want more, may be /60 or if requested, /48...
>
> Feel free to correct me if my math is wrong but I believe /64 offs 18446744073709551616 addresses which is far more than the entire space IPv4 technology itself can offer.
>
> I wanna see a single home user who will actually *use* even 50% of 18446744073709551616 addresses.
> Start assigning IP's to every object in your house... i.e. fridge, watch, clock, cell phone, 3g, TV, playstation, computers, lights, microwave, coffeemaker, toilet, etc etc, etc et al. and I doubt even with all that, it comes close to half of 18446744073709551616.
>
> Isn't assigning /48 to end users a bit over excessive you think? Or is the whole point of IPv6 "Let's waste address space until we run out it and panic later on.."?

Somewhere in the above message you mentioned that you think /64 is
excessive.  Have you taken the time to look at why /64 is recommended,
and how addresses get allocated inside a /64 ?

It's all to do with automatic configuration rather than manual setup
of IP addresses.  With a /64 you can just connect an IPv6 enabled
machine to the network and it will automatically configure its IPv6
address and routing to suit that network.

How many people, who still have difficulty setting their video recorders,
are going to be able to work out how to correctly configure their network
addresses and correct routing?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/