[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Haesu haesu@towardex.com
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:56:11 -0400

> Somewhere in the above message you mentioned that you think /64 is
> excessive.

I never said /64 is excessive. I said /48 might be.

>  Have you taken the time to look at why /64 is recommended,
> and how addresses get allocated inside a /64 ?

You think I don't know?
I've read the standards. And I said assigning smaller than /64
would be *wrong* didn't I? May be that gives you a hint that I
do understand and in fact *use* rtadv.

> It's all to do with automatic configuration rather than manual setup
> of IP addresses.  With a /64 you can just connect an IPv6 enabled
> machine to the network and it will automatically configure its IPv6
> address and routing to suit that network.

Read above.

> How many people, who still have difficulty setting their video recorders,
> are going to be able to work out how to correctly configure their network
> addresses and correct routing?

This is not the context of my post.
I am saying /48 may be a little excessive to a home user.
I never said /64 is.

-hc

--
Haesu C.