[6bone] RE: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Thu, 22 May 2003 16:54:25 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 08:09:46AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
> % On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 06:20:24AM -0700, Bill Manning wrote:
> % > % So if that address space isn't visible, the prerequisites are not
> % > % fulfilled, obviously, and it would be in the boundaries of the policy
> % > % to take the address space back.
> % > 	Visable to whom?
> %
> % To the majority of the internet users (as you insist on claiming that
> % there is nothing as "the global routing table").
>
> 	does that majority have to include you or I?

Of course not - if I disconnect my PC, I can't reach anyone.  But this
side discussion isn't helpful in any way.

> 	and show me the global routing table please?

This is kinda difficult, as everybody has a local view of it, of course.

> % The Internet is an *Inter*network.  It's about connecting all of it
> % together, not building small splinter networks that have no connectivity.
>
> 	The Internet in one mesh of interconected networks that run
> 	the IP protocol suite.  There are others.  Military networks,
> 	Closed commercial networks, Financial networks, Research networks,
> 	... its a long list.

So what?

If those networks decide to use different rules for IP/IPv6 address
allocation and usage, why should we care?

If they decide to become part of "The Internet", then they are part of
the global routing table/system.

Sorry, but I don't get your point.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  54495  (54267)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299