[6bone] RE: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Thu, 22 May 2003 10:36:21 -0700 (PDT)

% > 	and show me the global routing table please?
%
% This is kinda difficult, as everybody has a local view of it, of course.

	er, not really.  my view is "global" in the sense that it represents
	my total scope of reachability. e.g. I can send a packet to anywhere
	in my table view.  Not in my view, not in the "global" system.
	Anything outside that view is in private space as far as I can
	tell. Should I insist that if I can't see it, then folks should
	renumber into private space?
%
% > % The Internet is an *Inter*network.  It's about connecting all of it
% > % together, not building small splinter networks that have no connectivity.
% >
% > 	The Internet in one mesh of interconected networks that run
% > 	the IP protocol suite.  There are others.  Military networks,
% > 	Closed commercial networks, Financial networks, Research networks,
% > 	... its a long list.
%
% So what?
%
% If those networks decide to use different rules for IP/IPv6 address
% allocation and usage, why should we care?
%
% If they decide to become part of "The Internet", then they are part of
% the global routing table/system.

	Hum... where to begin.  First off,  it seems that you are making the
	assertion that entities will make the unconnected/connected transition
	-once- which emperical evidence suggests is not always true.  In the
	past decade, there is a significant body of evidence that networks
	and nodes are gaining mobility. part of that mobility is that
	they "disconnect" from all or part of the net for periods of time,
	sometimes for milliseconds, sometimes for months/years.

	recognising this as a basic feature of internetworking, one would
	hope that a consistant suite of addressing guidelines would be
	applicable, regardless of the state of "connectedness".

	anyway, thats why I care.

% Sorry, but I don't get your point.

	you are not alone.  :)

% Gert Doering
%         -- NetMaster
% --
% Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  54495  (54267)
%
% SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
% Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
% 80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299
%

--
--bill