[6bone] Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Mon, 12 May 2003 20:23:55 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 01:35:25PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Proposal:
>
> http://www.arin.net/policy/2003_4.html

Ah, that one.

Actually like the first two proposals.

Micro-Allocations are genuinely evil, though.

> There are numerous problems with the proposal, even though it may have
> been well-intentioned:
>
>  1) waiving 200 /48 assignments could enable any 1-person consulting
> business with 1 customer to get a /32

This has come up in the RIPE region a while ago already (1.5 years?)
and my response at that time was "so what?".  In the RIPE region (which
is different from ARIN), being sufficiently determined to wade through
the paperwork, sign all the RIPE member contracts and pay the LIR fees
could be considered enough prerequisite to get a /32.

People didn't like that, though - as far as I remember, the loudest
criticism came from the ARIN land.

>  2) micro-allocations are useless unless they're routed, and there is no
> community concensus that they're the right thing to do at the moment.

Micro-Allocations are *bad*.

I can see two exceptions that can be clearly defined and are really
"exceptionable enough" (and not "just convenient") - that's IXPs, and
root name servers.  We have policies for those.

All other Micro-Allocations boil down to inventing PI in one region
only.

>  3) there kinds of policy changes should occur on a different level, like
> global-v6 mailing list and/or the IETF, not just one RIR.

Yep.  But still I think that something needs to be done...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  54495  (54267)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299