[6bone] Re: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:35:25 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Gert Doering wrote:
> > There has
> > been a proposal to extend the microallocation policy, but luckily enough
> > it has been shot down.
>
> Could you give me some more background on that?  What was the proposal,
> and why was it shot down?

Proposal:

http://www.arin.net/policy/2003_4.html

There are numerous problems with the proposal, even though it may have
been well-intentioned:

 1) waiving 200 /48 assignments could enable any 1-person consulting
business with 1 customer to get a /32

 2) micro-allocations are useless unless they're routed, and there is no
community concensus that they're the right thing to do at the moment.

 3) there kinds of policy changes should occur on a different level, like
global-v6 mailing list and/or the IETF, not just one RIR.