[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Daniel Austin Daniel Austin" <daniel@kewlio.net
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 08:54:25 -0000

Hi,

> Daniel Austin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're in a similar position here.
> > Our company is not large enough to request a /32 from RIPE
> > (we cant allocate 200 customers ipv6 in the next 12 months,
> > nor can i lie to RIPE to let them believe it!)
>
> And 200 customers is a really small figure.
> If you have 200 dailup/dsl/hosting users you are there.
> If you don't have 200 of such users you simply are not big enough.

Every company has to start somewhere... we're not a dialup/dsl provider and never hope to be one.  We purely do colocation.  we buy
and sell raw bandwidth and servers.
When looking from a colo point of view... it takes a while to get 200 customers - right now, all i can do is offer then free 6bone
or "unsupported production" space for their colo boxes.

> There are some caveats though, but most RIR's won't make much fuss
> when you can explain your plans and your customerbase well enough.
>
> Good example is NREN's who might have eg 50 universities as clients.
> But actually those 50 universities comprise of thousands of students,
> buildings, classrooms, dailup facilities etc. It's just how you
> formulate
> 'client' in this matter and the rules are not that strict at the moment.
> You might try to contact your RIR and ask them before thinking that it
> doesn't work out in the first place.

We would have to become a LIR first - yet another overhead that we dont have as an IPv4 provider.

> > We're not a RIPE LIR, so i cant even request it to be thrown out.
> > But we're fully multihomed on PI ipv4 space....
> >
> > It seems there's no similar position for us in ipv6 land.
> > I have to rely on using static-routed IPv6 IP's from another
> > provider which means i *CANT* offer a production service on ipv6....
> > but of course, this all goes back to the multihoming thread...
>
> Who says that you can't setup private BGP peerings for 'your' /40 ?
> As long as it doesn't pop up in the global routing table that's
> perfectly fine.

If i still only have 1 *true* inbound path for the production space, i can't offer the Service Level Agreement that i currently hold
on IPv4.  Sure i can multihome outbound traffic across providers, but it's all about SLA.  I can't compete with larger companies who
can multihome because i can't give the SLA required.

I'll contact RIPE on behalf of my company, but i'm not hopeful :-(

With Thanks,

Daniel Austin,
Managing Director,
Kewlio.net Limited.