[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 14:55:48 +0000

Hi,

Although our university is single-homed for academic traffic, we also have
a single homed commercial link for non-academic traffic.   We have been
fortunate that for 3-4 years since we ran this link we have had pretty much
100% uptime from the supplier.  Of course multihoming is like insurance
policies, you don't need them until you have a problem.  We would be quite
happy to pay 2,500 p.a. LIR fees if that meant we could gain an independent
block (/48, or /32 :) for IPv6 use (and IPv4).  For us, 2,500 is a small
fraction of even what we feel is a small ISP activity.   Anyone who can't
afford that must have quite a small operation(?) so I do kind of agree with
people who suggest limiting PI growth by attaching a fee.   But if that
happens we need a different solution for the small guys who can't afford
that money (but these won't be bigger than SME, single geography networks?).
And what was the count for IPv4 PI networks determined recently?  It wasn't
that large...

I'm not trying to be provocative here(!), just understand relationships,
operational sizes, etc that lead to the requirements.

Tim