IPv6 availability (was: Re: [6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003)

Russell King rmk@arm.linux.org.uk
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:44:54 +0000

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:09:50PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Leased line and DSL is much better - as it's easier for the ISPs to
> do the necessary upgrades.

Wish the same was true in the UK.  When I mentioned the DSL situation
to a guy from BT in January, there didn't appear to be any plans to
make IPv6 available natively on DSL, so the only IPv6 DSL connectivity
in the near future will be using tunnels.

Having experienced the problems with PMTU discovery on IPv4 with sites
blocking the ICMP fragmentation needed messages for "security reasons",
I have little faith that any tunneled IP protocols have much value to
end users.  Of course, it may be different with IPv6, but I'd imagine
that the same "security" rules will end up being imposed upon IPv6.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux