[6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 18:09:50 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:35:17AM -0600, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
[..]
> > > There is absolutely no evidence that I can find that ANYBODY is offering
> > > IPv6 Internet connectivity to end users.  Perhaps the backbone providers
> > > have it on their routers and speak it to each other, but it sure hasn't
> > > filtered down to anybody else.
>
> > We're offering it to all our customers, for no extra charge on top of
> > what they pay for their IPv4 account.
>
> Fine.  Give me your POP number for Houston, TX, US, and I'll switch to
> your service.  Telling me about what you give YOUR customers when it is
> not in any way, shape, or form available to me does not impress me at all
> about how close IPv6 is to being a "commodity" item.

No need to get sarcastic here.  You tell me that you can't find evidence
that "ANYBODY" is offering IPv6 connectivity to end users.  What I'm
telling you is that this might be true for the US, but it's certainly
not true for other parts of the world - there *are* offerings.

It was not my intention to mock you.  I just wanted to point out that
other regions are indeed making progress here.

> For what it's worth, I would expect IPv6 connectivity to be available
> along with IPv4 for no additional cost for a time and that the IPv4
> connectivity will be eventually dropped or will be included as an
> additional cost item.

Yes.  So do I.

[..]
> > Admittedly we can't yet offer it
> > on all products (some hardware vendors are just not there yet), but on
> > the other hand the demand hasn't been overwhelming either...
>
> I use an Lucent Pipeline 75 to access the Internet.  It talks to a
> Lucent Max TNT.  Neither of those apparently has any support for IPv6.
> Now, apparently the Cisco AS 5[34]00 series equipment does, but I don't
> know anybody running that equipment.  I HAVE been out of the loop fo
> a while on what people are using for their dial-in equipment.  Perhaps
> someone could give some figures on how many dial-in lines in the world
> are on equipment that are capable of handling IPv6.

Right now, in US and EU, close to zero, as the big dial ISPs are fairly
reluctant to upgrade their software (if the hardware could do it), and
are mostly unwilling to replace their hardware.  Dunno about AP.

Leased line and DSL is much better - as it's easier for the ISPs to
do the necessary upgrades.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  57021 (57147)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299