[6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:41:23 -0800

> So, IPv6 is almost ready for "commodity" status even though
> a substantial fraction of all Internet users don't have access
> to it and won't for some time?  Isn't the Internet supposed
> to be about facilitating communications?

[I mostly agree with Jonathan and Todd's posts]

"a substantial fraction of all Internet users don't have access" is an
euphemism. It would be better to talk about the extremely small minority
almost exclusively composed of computer geeks and cell phones that has
access to IPv6, mostly with tunnels that make them switch back to IPv4
because it has way lower latency.

"commodity" means general public. This is not the case as of today and
will not be the case in a year either.

No IPv6 yahoo, no IPv6 google, no IPv6 eBay, no IPv6 commodity.

It is time for folks to understand that IPv6 can not be a commodity
until an IPv6 multihoming solution is deployed.

Michel.