[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Michael Sturtz Michael.Sturtz@paccar.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:54:56 -0800

I have been listening to this discussion for a while now and believe there
is a way to encourage ISPs and other entities to make the necessary
investments in moving to IPv6.  Unfortunately, in the US ARIN seems to be
wanting to use the same IPv4 mentality with distributing V6 blocks of
addresses.  We (I mean the internet community.) should encourage the liberal
distribution of v6 addresses to as many ISPs as possible by reducing the
cost and required justifications.  In addition, they should raise the price
of current v4 address allocations to reflect their scarcity.  Until, ISPs
and companies who use current v4 address space have an economic reason to
migrate they won't.  We have the classic chicken and egg problem.  Few
people will write applications for which v6 is needed unless there are many
people using v6 and people will wait until there is content which uses or is
only available on v6 before they will migrate to and use it.  It would
greatly help if all v4 content were immediately available on the v6 network
either via a dual protocol stack or via a 6to4 arrangement in the backbone
routers and DNS infrastructure.  If a machine with a only a v6 address
received a DNS answer which contained a v4 address then it should send that
(using the 2002 space) to the nearest router capable of translating
(proxying) the v6 address into a v4 address.  I would like to be able to use
IPv6 natively however unfortunately, neither of my broadband providers will
do IPv6 anytime soon.  And, I don't see any dial up providers available in
my area either.

Michael Sturtz
Computer Ease II