[6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 21:28:16 -0800 (PST)

% At 17:58 26/02/2003 -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
% >         one reason is that is is much easier to delineate experimental
% >         activities from things that may be more persistant.
%
% I'm curious to know what feature of 3ffe::/16 space makes it suitable for
% experiments and makes 2001::/16 not suitable for experiments. Both are
% globally routable, aren't they? Or are we thinking of disconnecting the
% IPv6 experimental testbed (the 6bone) from the part of the IPv6 Internet
% which is using 2001::/16 space? Can't folks just use filters if they don't
% want the experimental bits to leak out into the rest of the net?
%
% :-)
%
% philip
% --

	answers:  yes
		  not even
		  yes

	counter-question:  which bits of 2001::/16 are experimental in
	nature?  on simple examinination, its not nearly as easy to
	discriminate the commodity bits vs experimental delegations w/o
	a great deal more local RIR knowledge. (witness the lack of
	understanding about the APNIC documentation prefix from the rest
	of the world)

	however even the most expert can determine the difference between
	a route that starts w/ 2001 vs a route that starts with 3ffe.
	filters on that level are arguably easier to maintain.

--bill

--bill