[6bone] notice of intent to reclaim unused pTLAs, closes 17Jan0

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 01:45:53 +0100

Daniel Roesen wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 04:00:35PM +0100, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 14:57, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > > Bob Fink wrote the 17th of January 2003:
> >
> > > Also 3ffe:d00::/24 (ANSNET/US-DC) and 3ffe:82e0::/28
> (LDCOM/FR) are
> > > still not available, any information about those?
> >
> > We work with LDCOM, they will announce their pTLA very soon.
>
> Route announcements are a 10-second-job. Will they actually _use_ the
> space or just "trick around" to make an announcement visible?
>
> This is exactly what I meant is flawed about giving weeks and months
> of grace time. For many, you only give them time to make an "alibi
> announcement" visibile. IMNSHO, if someone doesn't announce a block
> for months, they _don't_use_it_. This means, if they actually
> care again of _using_ it, they can reapply for a new block and obtain
> new addresses quite quickly. With current, up-to-date contact
information etc.

Not even talking about the fact that they apparently didn't try
and contact Bob yet, nor make a public statement about the status.

Then again, there is another side to the story that one could be
allocated
address space (or ASN's etc) just for the sake that:
'whenever we peer with another party we know that it is globally unique'
Though one could quite easily state that and we haven't seen that yet
either...

Maybe a 'intention of use' clause could be put into the still to be
renewed signup draft?

Greets,
 Jeroen