[6bone] pTLA request by CTN1 - review closes 16 December 2003

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:43:09 +0100

Bob Fink wrote:

Only a few comments:

> CTN1 has requested a pTLA allocation and I find their request fully
> compliant with RFC2772. The open review period for this
> closes 16 December
> 2003. Please send your comments to me or the list.
>
>    <http://www.ctn1.com>

8<---------------------------------------------
Forbidden

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.ctn1.com Port 80
- --------------------------------------------->8

ctn1.net does exist and work apparently

> >    1. The pTLA Applicant must have a minimum of three (3) months
> >        qualifying experience as a 6Bone end-site or pNLA transit.
> >        During the entire qualifying period the Applicant must be
> >        operationally providing the following:
> >
> >Our IPv6 site is operational since 09 August 2003.

The site object was last changed:
changed:      mg@ctn1.com 20031118

The person objects all have a changed date of 20031113 or 20031118
and didn't exist before that apparently.

As for cnt1.net

reg_created:    2003-08-06 09:30:00
expires:        2004-08-06 09:30:00
created:        2003-08-06 15:30:01
changed:        2003-11-03 21:48:20

The ASN was assigned 2003-08-29, thus matching these.

ctn1.com is from 2003-04-25 according to whois.

IPv4 addresses for the 'servers' where assigned 20030825.
I wonder how operational they where, but alas...

> >        a. Fully maintained, up to date, 6Bone Registry entries for their
> >           ipv6-site inet6num, mntner, and person objects, including each
> >           tunnel that the Applicant has.
> >
> >http://whois.6bone.net/cgi-bin/whois?CTN1
> >

> >       b. Fully maintained, and reliable, BGP4+ peering and connectivity
> >           between the Applicant's boundary router and the appropriate
> >           connection point into the 6Bone. This router must be IPv6
> >           pingable. This criteria is judged by members of the 6Bone
> >           Operations Group at the time of the Applicant's pTLA request.
> >
> >Our ASN is 29402.
> >We have an IPv6 native Gigabit connexion to FNIX6.
> >NDSoftware (AS25358) provide us IPv6 transit through FNIX6.

Only one peer?

> >       c. Fully maintained DNS forward (AAAA) and reverse (ip6.int)

These should be ip6.arpa really really soon.

> >           entries for the Applicant's router(s) and at
> least one host
> >           system.
> >
> >We have 3 nameservers:
> >  - ns1.ctn1.net
> >  - ns2.ctn1.net

3 nameservers? Listed are two, and of those:

$ host ns1.ctn1.net
ns1.ctn1.net has address 195.140.140.1
$ host 195.140.140.1
Host 1.140.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

$ host ns2.ctn1.net
ns2.ctn1.net has address 195.140.141.1
$ host 195.140.141.1
Host 1.141.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

And the guessable third:

$ host ns3.ctn1.net
ns3.ctn1.net has address 195.140.142.1
$ host 195.140.142.1
Host 1.142.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

> >       d. A fully maintained, and reliable, IPv6-accessible system
> >           providing, at a mimimum, one or more web pages, describing the
> >           Applicant's IPv6 services.  This server must be IPv6 pingable.
> >
> >http://www.ctn1.com (all services are ready to use with IPv6)

$ host -t any www.ctn1.com
www.ctn1.com has address 195.140.143.10

$ host -t any www.ctn1.net
www.ctn1.net has address 195.140.143.10
www.ctn1.net has AAAA address 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5

traceroute to www.ctn1.net (3ffe:4013:2105:1::5) from 3ffe:8114:2000:240:290:27ff:fe24:c19f, 30 hops max, 16 byte packets
<SNIP>
 5  tun1.cr1.par1.fr.ip.ndsoftware.net (3ffe:4013:f:7::1)  42.028 ms  52.713 ms  41.165 ms
 6  ctn1-29402.fnix6.net (3ffe:4013:10:1::4)  40.447 ms  41.087 ms  40.71 ms
 7  ctn1-29402.fnix6.net (3ffe:4013:10:1::4)  3967.01 ms !H

$ ping6 -c 10 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5
PING 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5(3ffe:4013:2105:1::5) 56 data bytes
>From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=4 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
>From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=8 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
>From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=10 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

- --- 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5 ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 9092ms

Not reachable?

The website only shows a 'hosting' company, no user endpoints or similar.
I personally wonder for what they need more than the /48 they currently
already have. If they have a requirement for more space they can request
that from their sole upstream.

http://www.ctn1.net/reseau.php shows that it isn't being used (yet) either.

> >    2. The pTLA Applicant MUST have the ability and intent to provide
> >        "production-quality" 6Bone backbone service. Applicants must
> >        provide a statement and information in support of this claim.
> >        This MUST include the following:
> >

> >       a. A support staff of two persons minimum, three
> preferable, with
> >           person attributes registered for each in the
> ipv6-site object
> >           for the pTLA applicant.
> >
> >RP10-6BONE
> >MG22-6BONE
> >BV3-6BONE
> >
> >       b. A common mailbox for support contact purposes that
> all support
> >           staff have acess to, pointed to with a notify
> attribute in the
> >           ipv6-site object for the pTLA Applicant.
> >
> >6bone@ctn1.net

$ host -t mx ctn1.com
ctn1.com mail is handled by 1 mail.ctn1.com.
$ host -t mx ctn1.net
ctn1.net mail is handled by 1 mail.ctn1.net.

Only 1 IP, could be balanced, but even then...

> >    3. The pTLA Applicant MUST have a potential "user community" that
> >        would be served by its becoming a pTLA, e.g., the
> Applicant is a
> >        major provider of Internet service in a region,
> country, or focus
> >        of interest. Applicant must provide a statement and
> information in
> >        support this claim.
> >
> >CTN1 operates an IPv6 Network and provides a lot of IPv6 services to many
> >projects.
> >We provide: Usenet Provider, Email provider and Hosting Provider with dual IPv4 and IPv6.
> >All IPv6 services is free of charge.
> >We encourage all people to start a web site and Email server
> with IPv6.

This looks a lot like the NDSOFTWARE request to me, their 'services'
have not become available either and even worse, they removed all the
contact information from the 6bone registry, which only contains 1 person
now. But the director of NDSOFTWARE can probably explain that part.
The people that "worked" at NDSOFTWARE have all vanished except for Nico...

Btw it is allowed, certainly in 6bone space to assign more than a single
/48 to a 'downstream', maybe they could use address space from NDSOFTWARE?
It also seems that that will be their sole 'gigabit' uplink.

Personally, mainly also because of the last reason I don't see why they
would require a pTLA. A couple of /48's would do just fine for a webhoster.
And they can get enough space from their 'upstream'.

Greets,
 Jeroen