[6bone] Re: pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Abdul Basit basit@basit.cc
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 12:15:30 -0500 (CDT)

> Might I suggest that while NGC obviously offers a viable service to your
> tunnel "clients", NDSOFTWARE is _not_ a very good choice to provide
> transit services to you?

 Right, i agree but at the start of project, we had no other choice
As i told in my previous email, Mr deffayet helped us a lot to get
connected to 6BONE. And we began to use tunnels provided by him. In my
opinion it doesn't matter for now, as NGC is just trying to bring
awareness of IPv6 to newbies that includes individuals, small isp's, and
or university system admins. Like lemme give you an example, it 'd be
easy for someone who works for an isp/insitutes in pakistan and who knows me,
then it will be very easy to train him in native language(not english),
then that isp can train other and so when that country will be allocated a
pTLA , it has all manpower trained to adopt this technology, then they can have
efficient routing or whatever. our another aspect is research, trying
out new technologies related to IPv6 like LIN6,MIPv6,Use of IP Anycast for
Load balancing  etc, i beleive this all requires just stable connectivity
to 6BONE for carrying out experiements. Yes, It is desirable to have
an optimized intermediate routing though.

> I suggest that you take a look at pTLA holders in the continental US, do
> some traceroutes to the v4 addresses they have listed in their tunnel
> statements and find one that is close to you for both RTT and physical
> topology.
>
> As it stands, if one of your tunnel clients wants to access say,
> www.6bone.net via IPv6, the packet has to go from the US to France and
> then back across the ocean to Canada.  Not a very well optimized
> situation.

I will contact others if needed, Thanks for your suggestion.

> His helping you is nice.  It does not change anything else though.

agreed on this.

> And again, I suggest that you find a more viable transit provider.  Is NGC
> a university supported activity or are you doing this as a project of your
> own.  If in fact it is a university supported activity, you have a wealth
> of resources at your disposal.

Unfortunately its not a funded project.As i told in my previous email.
NGC is just trying to bring awareness of IPv6 to university
officials(sysadmins etc) and other individuals coming on irc #ipv6, #ngc
etc. We are doing it by our own with technical support from NDSOFTWARE /
Mr Deffayet.

> That is all very neat and I'm glad that you're doing active research in
> the v6 field.  None of it lends any more validity to the NDSOFTWARE pTLA
> application though.

ok, but the whole point to show  was that 'NDSOFTWARE is
supporting research based projects like NGC', this statement
can make a little impact on NDSOFTWARE pLTA request.

> "hello.  i want i should tunnel get from you ipv6 site for my friends and
> me."

No your guess is wrong :) I didn't write that !

> Contrary to popular belief, the folks who _work_ at Cisco, Motorola and
> Nokia don't get paid to solve the problems of NON-CUSTOMERS.  When they
> have the time to do so, and when presented with a detailed description of
> a problem which they have the resources to remedy, I find them to be more
> than willing to help.

so do you think are we differentiating between commercial technical
support and research oriented technical support here ? AFAIK, all those
companies have their research departments and the persons work there
should be different from those who provide technical support to company
CUSTOMERS.

> Are you available for hire as a political spokesperson?  Seriously.  You
> have a knack for spin that is only found in true polical pros.
>
> Has your university presented any type of OFFICIAL proposal to any of the
> companies you reference above?  Do you have any idea how many non-official
> proposals these companies get from individuals?

NGC is not this university project, I just want to deploy IPv6 here
through NGC. or should try demonstrate the worth of research in this
area to professors here.

> I certainly hope that you put more research into your thesis than you did
> into your arguement for approval of the NDSOFTWARE pTLA application.  Do
> yourself a favor and look back through this thread.  You will find pages
> and pages of "strong reasons in terms of RFC2772 to oppose the request."

Right, I read almost all threads on this issue, I found alot of posts
describing why they'r against it, they may be right in their opinions but
on the contrary, i also found Bob's email in which he thinks that the
request is fully RFC compliant.
http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2002-October/006364.html

Take care
- basit