[6bone] Re: pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Robert J. Rockell rrockell@sprint.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:11:29 -0400 (EDT)

Arount, not a flame to you, but in general:

Focus people.    Abdul has written in support of NDS, and has shown that NDS
is active and helpful with their downstream customers.   For one, I have
received this comment, and I think it was good to have someone show the
other side of the story.  This is about a pTLA, not IRC, or pr0n.

>From my perspective, NDS has been a downstream customer for quite some time
(of Sprint's Ipv6).  I am guilty of having too buggy a script to have the
tunnel show up in my registry object, but I can contest that NDS has shown
proficiency in configuration and maintenance of their 6bone connection. They
have not complained about Sprint's stringent filter policy, and they are a
low-overhead customers (i.e. I don't spend too much time on their tunnel).
Please don't let my indeptitude with regex hold them from qualifying under
that item.

>From this perspective, I have nothing to show that NDS is not capable, from
an IPv6 expertise standpoint.

One issue that I think IS good topic for this list, and is a long time overdue:
Are/SHOULD pTLA delegations be gated by the type of company that one has?
In the past, IPv6 TLA's were seen to be given to large carriers/isp's (I
promise not to say 'tier 1'; let's jut say people with lots of downstream
customers).   Obviously, this has not been the case. If one looks at the
current base of pTLA delegations, only a FEW are actually commercial
entities that service transit IP(v6) connectivity for a potentially large
customer base. We have research institutions, hardware vendors, etc...

So if we are going to blast NDS, is this becuase we are changing the
delegation rules, or becuase we plan on going back and cleaning up the
history?   We should decide which is being proposed.  Again, I am not
offering an opinion on this, as doing so would certainly get me flamed by
one side of the other, but this should remain a consideration.

Thanks
Rob Rockell
SprintLink
(+1) 703-689-6322

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Arnout Engelen wrote:

->On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 11:08:34AM -0400, John Fraizer wrote:
->> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Abdul Basit wrote:
->> >  As a matter of fact, being on irc is fun, you meet nice persons
->> > and get help, it always the case with me.
->>
->> OK.  If you say so.  Where did that come from?  I though we were talking
->> about a pTLA application, not IRC.
->>
->> Top 10 list of things I've found on IRC:
->>
->> (1) 'leet d00dz plotting their next dDoS.
->> (2) Pr0n.
->> (3) People looking for pr0n.
->> (4) pedofiles looking for their next victim.
->> (5) potential victims (be it of a dDoS, a pedofile, or both.)
->> (6) warez
->> (7) people looking for warez.
->> (8) Thousands on thousands of bots guarding the electronic "turf" of their
->> prepubescent "owners."
->> (9) Thousands on thousands of OTHER bots trying to steal that turf on
->> behalf of their prepubescent "owners."
->> (10) prepubescent bot owners bitching about having their "channel" taken
->> over by some other prepubescent bot owner.
->
->Hm, I must say I indeed don't really understand what that statement had
->to do with the rest of Abdul's case, but I must say my own experience is
->quite different from Johns.
->
->I'm on a few small channels (around 10-25 users usually, including
->idlers), and actually my experience is quite positive.
->
->#wxwindows on opn, for example, is the channel of a neat cross-platfrom
->gui toolkit (www.wxwindows.org, a tad like QT). Newbies who pop by are
->helped getting started, finding out where the good docs are, etcetera,
->all in a quite friendly way. More experienced users help the newbies and
->discuss the more advanced issues at times.
->
->I have consulted #ipv6 on that same server a couple of times, and got
->pretty useful responses - I've even helped some people there doing
->basic ipv6 dns and such.
->
->Every now and then I pop around on #debian, which is quite crowded but
->mostly very helpful, too.
->
->I've had some less friendly experiences of course, for example someone
->on the aformentioned #ipv6 who suddenly refused to help me since I was
->obviously incompetent and shouldn't be playing with grown-ups toys like
->ipv6, but that is not very common. (I solved my problem on my own, I had
->specified my default ipv6 route as '::' instead of as '2000::/3').
->
->
->I guess it's mostly dependent on what server you're on, on opn there are
->pretty good services (which prevent channel takeovers), no porn or warez
->to be found (as far as I can tell) and a generally frienly crowd.
->
->A typical example of 'ymmv', I guess.
->
->--