sTLA alloc policies [Re: [6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002]

Carlos Morgado chbm@cprm.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:07:15 +0100

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:46:57AM -0700, David Kessens wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:01:07PM +0100, Carlos Morgado wrote:
> >
> > CPR Marconi (PTComunicagues now) routes about 80% of the portuguese commercial
> > internet traffic. We have an IPv4 /19 and are pretty much multihomed in
> > IPv4 as any self respecting internet whole saler should be. However, after
> > reading RIPE's IPv6 policies I came to the conclusion we can't request a
> > block from them. "Get it from your upstream" is pretty much useless for
> > multihomed nets so we're pretty much stuck.
> >
> > All our customers however can get /32s from RIPE as they can fill a plan
> > saying "we have 250 PoPs". Soooo, our larger upstreams have IPv6 blocks,
> > our *client* ISPs have IPv6 blocks but we, *their upstream*, can't get a
> > block.
> > Pretty much laughable eh ?
>
> Before actually stating that you cannot get addresses, did you
> actually filled out an apllication and try to get them ?!? The new
> rules are really not as strict as many people believe they are.

Yes, I said we can't fulfill
d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments
 to other organisations within two years.
as part of the problem presentation.
They said "our policies are at ....".

True, this isn't the correct place to discuss RIPE policy, I was just
ilustrating Pekka's point.

--
Carlos Morgado <chbm@cprm.net> - Internet Engineering - Phone +351 214146594
GPG key: 0x75E451E2 FP: B98B 222B F276 18C0 266B  599D 93A1 A3FB 75E4 51E2