sTLA alloc policies [Re: [6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002]

David Kessens david@IPRG.nokia.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:46:57 -0700

Carlos,

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:01:07PM +0100, Carlos Morgado wrote:

> CPR Marconi (PTComunicagues now) routes about 80% of the portuguese commercial
> internet traffic. We have an IPv4 /19 and are pretty much multihomed in
> IPv4 as any self respecting internet whole saler should be. However, after
> reading RIPE's IPv6 policies I came to the conclusion we can't request a
> block from them. "Get it from your upstream" is pretty much useless for
> multihomed nets so we're pretty much stuck.
>
> All our customers however can get /32s from RIPE as they can fill a plan
> saying "we have 250 PoPs". Soooo, our larger upstreams have IPv6 blocks,
> our *client* ISPs have IPv6 blocks but we, *their upstream*, can't get a
> block.
> Pretty much laughable eh ?

Before actually stating that you cannot get addresses, did you
actually filled out an apllication and try to get them ?!? The new
rules are really not as strict as many people believe they are.

Also, there is not much point in moaning about ipv6 allocation
policies on this list. This list doesn't decide about ipv6 policies -
the RIRs communities do.

As for the policy itself: the current policy is, like most policies, a
compromise. It certainly doesn't addresses every single parties needs.
The policy was adopted because most people felt that it was a step
forward from the previous policy, not because all parties felt this
was the final and best policy we have ever achieved.

Finally, the policy can be changed in the future and you are
encouraged to speak up in the public RIR policy fora on how you want
to have the policy changed in such a manner that it still achieves the
goals as set forward in the policy document.

David K.
---