[6bone] FAQ about pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:18:49 +0200

Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

> Here a FAQ, no more reply on this list about "pTLA request
> NDSOFTWARE -
> review closes 23 October 2002".
>
> NDSoftware pTLA request is fully compliant with RFC2772.
> http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2002-October/006364.html
>
> Don't try to find a bug, there is no bugs.
> If you are jealous, search another victim.

As I said before, I *CANNOT* be jealous at you.
Actually I am pitying you a bit.
You are not a victim, you are now a perfect example
why not everybody should be able to get a TLA.

6bone Community is a PUBLIC place. Not private.
A pTLA request is a PUBLIC thing. Not private.
Thats why I will reply to your "FAQ" in private.
I also wonder why this FAQ isn't on your "noc" website.

> What's NDSoftware ?

Aha software company, just like any other person having a webdesign
company.
And nobody sees them requesting a huge amount of IP space.
Also these 'services' are they going to run from your pTLA -> nopes
because then they would be commercial.

> ---
>
> Is Nicolas DEFFAYET is a kid without brain who destroy 6bone ?
>
> I'm Nicolas DEFFAYET, i have 4 years, i got every day to school, and i
> play with my FisherPrice routers and i destroy all 6bone.

Thank you for answering this question, many people where wondering about
this.
I hope you take 6bone and your 'company' as serious as this.

> Does NDSoftware is the source of "ghost AS_pathes" ?
>
> No, read archive of the 6bone mailing-list, you will find all details
> about this problem.

Please quote the solution of the ghost paths, URL's will do to.
If you know the answer please present it as many people are looking for
it.

> What's NDSoftware "potential user community" ?
>
> - NDSoftware (my company)
And your company needs a /40, nice 'numberplan'.
How many employees does your company have to justify this?

<SNIP>
> We do many actions in IPv6 research, we created FNIX6 (French
> International Internet Exchange IPv6, http://www.fnix6.net/), we host
> many mirrors available in IPv6, we created ftp://ftp.openipv6.com/ (a
> FTP with a lot of IPv6 stuff).

Those "ISPs" should request their own TLA.
Your "mirrors" can run out of ONE /48 too.

> A lot of peers filter our /32 because it's not a pTLA.

That's the general rule of the internet.

> We want a pTLA for can announce without any problems our
> network, don't
> break the IPv6 aggregation and be independant of a upstream (we don't
> want be down because our upstream is down).

You might ask your IPv4 uplink to get some IPv6 space for you and use
that.
As you have no own infrastructure you are still depending on your
upstream
even if you do get a TLA.

> In http://www.6bone.net/6bone_pTLA_list.html, a lot of pTLA
> aren't used
> or are used only for a /48 and/or have only one upstream.
>
> An exemple: MOTOROLA-LABS, have only one upstream. Do you think that
> they need a pTLA ? If their upstream is down, this pTLA is not anymore
> announced. MOTOROLA-LABS don't provide IPs and a /48 is
> enough for their
> activity...

What has that to do with anything?
Do you work at MOTOROLA-LABS that you know their internal structure ?

> NDSoftware provide IPs to another ISP/company/project and have many
> upstream...

You got TUNNELS, no native upstreams.

> Why NDSoftware will close peering with private ASN ?
>
> We have 101 BGP4+ peers, our current routers are full (zebra is very
> unstable if we add new peer) and we want get new peer with other
> pTLA/sTLA that we can't get with our old private ASN.
>
> We have choose to delete all peers with private ASN for free
> BGP session
> on our routers for this new peers.
>
> We don't delete peers with private ASN because "private ASN sucks", we
> keep peering with important private ASN like NextGenCollective or
> IPNG-UK (this 2 projects projet provide a lot of tunnels to users). I
> understand their status, it's why i keep peering with them.
>
> We will try to find a solution before the 23th October for keep peer
> with all private ASN.

> FNIX6 (French National Internet Exchange IPv6) is an IPv6 Internet
> Exchange.

National, International? Checking the website it doesn't exist.
And I hope that your personal IX is not experimental.
If it isn't you can't use a pTLA for it.

> I have an anoter question...
>
> Ask to nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
> with a CC to fink@es.net

See at the top, 6bone is PUBLIC, Internet is PUBLIC.

Also, reread RFC2772.

Greets,
 Jeroen