[6bone] FAQ about pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
20 Oct 2002 19:07:57 +0200

Here a FAQ, no more reply on this list about "pTLA request NDSOFTWARE -
review closes 23 October 2002".

NDSoftware pTLA request is fully compliant with RFC2772.
http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2002-October/006364.html

Don't try to find a bug, there is no bugs.
If you are jealous, search another victim.

Please respect the Bob Fink's email:

----------------------------------------------------------------------->

6bone Folk,

Please keep the discussion from getting personal, or becoming defamatory
or
using swear words.

Many folks watch how we carry out our 6bone business; it is important
that
we remain open, objective and willing to hear all sides.

Thanks,

Bob

----------------------------------------------------------------------->

---

What's NDSoftware ?

Founded in 2000 by Nicolas DEFFAYET, NDSoftware at the base software
publisher offers a wide range of products and services for personal and
business.

We work a lot in the creation of software, consulting and creation of
website.

We develop an ISP activity for offer to our customers a complete
solution (if a customer order the creation of a software for its
customers management, we want offer additional services like the
creation of the website linked with the software of customers
management, the hosting of this website,...)

---

Why NDSoftware don't have a website ?

For the moment, we don't need a website for find new customers and do
our business. Do marketing stuff is not a priority for us, because we
get new customers with our actual customers.

The NDSoftware website is under developpement since many mounths. Our
website will be not a vulgar website with 20 static pages about our
activites. We will manage our client with it, automatize all
administrative tasks (invoice for exemple),... Our aim is develop more
services without more staff.

---

What about NDSoftware & IPv6 ?

NDSoftware work on 6bone since january 2001. We do a lot of tests for
prepare our ISP activity and at the same time we help the IPv6
community. We provide IPv6 connectivity and our help to many projects.

---

Does NDSoftware plan do commercial activities on 6bone ?

No, of course !

All our IPv6 services are free in production quality but without any
guarantee.
We will do commercial activities only with a sTLA from the RIPE.

---

Is Nicolas DEFFAYET is a kid without brain who destroy 6bone ?

I'm Nicolas DEFFAYET, i have 4 years, i got every day to school, and i
play with my FisherPrice routers and i destroy all 6bone.

---

Why NDSoftware collecting tunnels and BGP sessions ?

It's for do a lot of tests.

---

Does NDSoftware have a bad routing ?

No, we use MED.

Our MED for tunnels:

500: - 10 ms
510: 10 - 25 ms
520: 25 - 50 ms
530: 50 - 100 ms
540: + 100 ms

A lot of pTLA and sTLA don't use MED, we use MED for have a good
quality.

We use too "bgp always-compare-med" of course.

---

Does NDSoftware is the source of "ghost AS_pathes" ?

No, read archive of the 6bone mailing-list, you will find all details
about this problem.

---

Why there is the same phone number on all contact of NDSoftware's whois
?

There is a common phone contact for a best manegement.

---

Does NDSoftware staff have 24x7 physical access to the equipment ?

Yes of course !

---

NDSoftware routers have many BGP peer down, why ?

We do a migration (for the moment only parcr2.fr.ndsoftwarenet.net and
route-server.ndsoftwarenet.net), we change AS65526 to AS25358.

---

What's NDSoftware "potential user community" ?

- NDSoftware (my company)

- many projects (here a list of main projects):

* IPv6-FR
A non profit organisation for the developement of IPv6 in France
IPv6-FR run a tunnel broker and have currently 200 users, each user have
a /48
=> NDSoftware provide to IPv6-FR: 1 /35 and a native IPv6 connectivity.

* NextGenCollective
IPv6 research
http://www.nextgencollective.net/
NGC[NextGen Collective] provides IPv6-over-IPv4 tunnels to people all
over the world.
ASpath-tree: http://www.nextgencollective.net/bgp4/ (AS65526 is my old
private ASN)
=> NDSoftware provide to NextGenCollective: 2 /44, 1 /40, 1 /36 and a
tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 with BGP (full transit).

* IPng.org.uk
IPv6 tunnel broker
http://www.ipng.org.uk/
ASpath-tree: http://www.ipng.org.uk/bgp/bgp-page-complete.html (AS65526
is my old private ASN)
=> NDSoftware provide to IPng.org.uk: 1 /44, 1 /40 and a tunnel IPv6
over IPv4 with BGP (full transit).

* ILS
Italian Linux Society
ILS provide IPv6 connectivity to italian user groups and organizations
experimenting with IPv6.
ILS host the IPv6 IRC server calvino.freenode.net
=> NDSoftware provide to ILS: 1 /44 and a tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 with BGP
(full transit).

* ATI
A tunisian ISP
http://www.ipv6net.tn/
http://www.ipv6net.tn/ipv6-Tunisia.pdf
=> NDSoftware provide to ATI: 1 /44 and a tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 with BGP
(full transit). NDSoftware have help ATI for the IPv6 deployement in
tunisia. ATI plan later to request a pTLA.

* FABIONNE
A projet for do IPv6 Debian package
http://debian-ipv6.fabionne.net/
=> NDSoftware provide to FABIONNE:  a tunnel IPv6 over IPv4 with BGP
(full transit) and host a mirror for this projet
(http://debian-ipv6.mirrors.ndsoftwarenet.com/).

ESMT
An university in Senegal
=> NDSoftware provide to ESMT: 1 /44 and a tunnel IPv6 over IPv4.

We do many actions in IPv6 research, we created FNIX6 (French
International Internet Exchange IPv6, http://www.fnix6.net/), we host
many mirrors available in IPv6, we created ftp://ftp.openipv6.com/ (a
FTP with a lot of IPv6 stuff).

---

Why NDSoftware need a pTLA ?

A lot of peers filter our /32 because it's not a pTLA.
We want a pTLA for can announce without any problems our network, don't
break the IPv6 aggregation and be independant of a upstream (we don't
want be down because our upstream is down).

All ISP/company/project who provide IPs to another ISP/company/project
and have many upstream MUST have a pTLA/sTLA.

In http://www.6bone.net/6bone_pTLA_list.html, a lot of pTLA aren't used
or are used only for a /48 and/or have only one upstream.

An exemple: MOTOROLA-LABS, have only one upstream. Do you think that
they need a pTLA ? If their upstream is down, this pTLA is not anymore
announced. MOTOROLA-LABS don't provide IPs and a /48 is enough for their
activity...

NDSoftware provide IPs to another ISP/company/project and have many
upstream...

---

http://noc.ndsoftwarenet.com have many 404 errors pages in "Documents"
submenu...

Yes, we know, it will be fixed soon.

---

Does NDSoftware plan to be LIR at the RIPE ?

Yes, it's planned.
We will be LIR when our ISP activity will be stable.

---

Why NDSoftware will close peering with private ASN ?

We have 101 BGP4+ peers, our current routers are full (zebra is very
unstable if we add new peer) and we want get new peer with other
pTLA/sTLA that we can't get with our old private ASN.

We have choose to delete all peers with private ASN for free BGP session
on our routers for this new peers.

We don't delete peers with private ASN because "private ASN sucks", we
keep peering with important private ASN like NextGenCollective or
IPNG-UK (this 2 projects projet provide a lot of tunnels to users). I
understand their status, it's why i keep peering with them.

We will try to find a solution before the 23th October for keep peer
with all private ASN.

---

What's the address 57 rue du president Wilson, 92300 Levallois-Perret,
France ?

It's the postal address of NDSoftware and IPv6-FR.

---

What's IPv6-FR ?

IPv6-FR is a non profit organisation for the developement of IPv6 in
France.

---

What's FNIX6 ?

FNIX6 (French National Internet Exchange IPv6) is an IPv6 Internet
Exchange.

---

I have an anoter question...

Ask to nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net