sTLA alloc policies [Re: [6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002]

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 19:58:12 +0300 (EEST)

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, Tim Chown wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:36:10PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >
> > Speaking of which, I'd be really interested in knowing how Internet
> > Software Consortium is going to fill the "200 customer rule":
>
> Or small to medium sized NRENs in Europe.  I spoke last week to someone from
> one of the smallest European research networks who felt he couldn't get a
> SubTLA for that reason (not 200 universities in the country).

Yep, with strict interpretation this is a huge problem.  But not in
practise, there's flexibility for those that need it; for example,
NORDUnet, the research network transit for Nordics, has about 5 customers
and no hope of getting more (or having to give addresses to any of these).
And it just got an sTLA a week or two ago :-).

But even if you don't have customers, you have to have these addresses if
you participate (_really_) in the DFZ.

> This isn't
> (I hope) the type of organisation the new rules are trying to exclude.  (in
> other ways the new rules are very open, which may lead to (increased)
> 6bonisation of the 2001: space...

My worry as well.. I'm really curious about the ISC stuff, and I really
hope ARIN will not just de-facto ignore the particular point of the rules.