sTLA alloc policies [Re: [6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002]

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:39:17 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 05:36:10PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > The political part is the "200 customer rule", which I personally did
> > not like very much (it came from ARIN and APNIC), but hey, for a serious
> > ISP that actually is connecting customers, it's not a major obstacle.
>
> Speaking of which, I'd be really interested in knowing how Internet
> Software Consortium is going to fill the "200 customer rule":
>
> http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=ISC6-1
>
> I never thought they'd be in the ISP business..
>
> Oh, Nokia must also have colored the truth slightly..

Well, Nokia (and Cisco and such) might actually be able to justify it
- by declaring all their national offices as customers.  Legally, they
are likely to be separate entities anyway.

*I* personally don't really mind if "the 100 biggest companies in the
world" get a sTLA - if they can provide decent network documentation,
fine with me.

As for ISC, hmmm, interesting question.  Being a RIPE person, I can't
comment on what's going on in ARIN land...

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  48282  (47686)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299