[6bone] IPv6 behind NAT

Scott Prader gnea@garson.org
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:32:40 -0500

Generally, the best solution for your case is to obtain a Freenet6 IPv6
tunnel, which is available for free.  Here's a brief technical breakdown
on the setup: the linux box that's connected to the cable modem would
act as the IPv6 router (using radvd or zebra).  When you obtain the
tunnel, you are assigned a single ip address, but from there you can
easily request a /48 (that's 1208925819614629174706176 ip's with 65535
subnets.  again, monetary cost can be related to /dev/zero).  Basically
toss an ip from the /48 on your eth1 connected to your hub/switch for
your LAN and setup each Linux/BSD machine to autoconfigure, this way you
won't have to deal with NAT (since you really can't anyhow unless you
use static routes and that can get rather hairy and is generally not
worth the effort, even in your situation).  Once each of the LAN
machines is configured right, they will obtain their IPv6 ips from the
linux router, much like dhcp works with IPv4.  That's a base start,
however I highly recommend reading the documentation at www.ipv6.org,
www.freenet6.net and www.hs247.org.  Good luck.

* michael.a.cardosa@accenture.com (michael.a.cardosa@accenture.com) cobbled forth:

> I am new to IPv6, so please bare with me.  I have a small home network that
> I would like to use
> to experiment with IPv6.  I have a cable modem that is connected to my
> linux firewall/router.  I
> would like to setup an IPv6 network within my existing network in the
> following manner:
>
> [sorry for the bad ascii art]
>
>                                                    cable modem
>                                                       linux
> router--------existing internal network(IP4)
>                                                 IPv6 router
>                                         IPv6 internal network
>
> >From the documentation that I have read, I believe that I I need to have
> the IPv6 router do
> 6to4 translation (if that is the correct term).  I am planning on using Red
> Hat for this.  The other
> machines on the IPv6 will be Linux/BSD variants.  I do not know, however,
> how to configure
> my router since it will have an internal NAT address and not the external
> one.  Can somebody
> point me in the right direction?

BTW, if it's a Cisco, I believe their latest IOS's support IPv6 and
there's plenty of documentation floating around for it.  google.com
could help if that's the case.  However, your best bet is to use the
linux machine as an IPv6 router, unless you want to rewire your network.
There are possibly other ways to achieve all of this, so take this all
with a grain of salt.

> Thanks for any help
> mike

         .oO Gnea [gnea at garson dot org] Oo.
            .oO url [http://gnea.net] Oo.

"You can tune a filesystem, but you can't tune a fish." -Kirk McKusick