[6bone] IPv6 behind NAT

Tony Langdon tlangdon@atctraining.com.au
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:24:56 +1100

> I am new to IPv6, so please bare with me.  I have a small
> home network that
> I would like to use
> to experiment with IPv6.  I have a cable modem that is connected to my
> linux firewall/router.  I
> would like to setup an IPv6 network within my existing network in the
> following manner:

You need to make the NAT router the IPv6 router also.  In this setup, the
router will NAT for IPv4 and route (no NAT) for IPv6.  This works for me.  I
have a /48 from freenet6 which is routed via the Linux NAT router.  IPv6
hosts can see the IPv6 Internet no problems, while IPv4 is NAT'd as usual.
Freenet6 suits my needs, because I can get static IPv6 addresses, even if my
IPv4 changes, which it occasionally does.

Running IPv6 behind IPv4 Nat via a tunnel (6to4 or whatever) is generally
not supported (though I think some of the BSD variants have around this
problem).

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain