[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite -- bigger scope goals

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
17 Nov 2002 16:30:29 +0000

Nicolas DEFFAYET <nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net> writes:

> Why your solution is not good:
>
> - If you cut 6bone and RIR, 6bone will have a very bad routing (i know,
> it's not a problem for you because you have a sTLA).

You are not seriously suggesting that current 6bone routing is
anywhere near optimal, are you?

> - Many pTLA offer a real production quality service, why limit them ?

They can continue to offer their service, and most of them can get RIR
space.

Please refer to my original email to see some of the problems which
are tackled by this proposal.

> - A pTLA can offer better service than a sTLA.

I don't argue on the base of "can", whatever you mean by this. I argue
on the base of facts such as past incidents and the reluctance of ISPs
to offer IPv6 access to existing IPv4 services, caused by bad IPv6
network performance.

> - IPv6 world must have the same routing policy, why complicate IPv6
> routing ?

And all people must be equal.

> Your solution will kill the 6bone because the 6bone will be too limited,
> and all ISP will resquest a sTLA for do their tests.

So be it. What's bad about it?
As Bob said, 6bone is for the people who cannot get RIR space.

Robert