[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
13 Nov 2002 20:03:52 +0000

Paul Aitken <paitken@cisco.com> writes:

> Presumably if you take your girlfriend away for the weekend then
> either you persuade her to let you take your laptop computer with you,
> or you get Mike Cheney to stand in for you, right?

You have a very good point pointing to a serious conflict.

You and others operate pTLAs and provide many valuable services to the
community. However, it's operated as a spare-time activity without,
for example, guaranteed response times.

This leads to serious operational impact on the whole IPv6 world. I
just want to recall the AS1654 incidence, where a hobby pTLA brought
down significant parts of the global IPv6 network and we were lucky
enough that the IPv4 upstream was available to turn off the tunnel
endpoint.

As a result the IPv6 network quality is considerably worse than IPv4,
and understandably people are reluctant to trust important services to
IPv6.

I see only two solutions:

1. Isolate 6bone and similarly operated one-host-wildly-tunneled sTLAs
from a production-quality IPv6 core, and widely implement filtering.

2. Assure that pTLAs provide a minimum of service.

Robert