[6bone] Exchange Point Addresses

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:18:41 +0200

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:45:59PM -0400, ww@GROOVY.NET wrote:
| Hi,
|
| At the Toronto Internet Exchange (TORIX) we've been talking about
| making it possible to peer natively over IPv6. The problem is
| getting addresses for the exchange -- RIPE seems to have a clear
| policy (they'll hand out a /64), but ARIN doesn't appear to. It
| would not be appropriate to use addresses from one of the providers
| at the exchange since TORIX has been, since its inception,
| provider neutral and we'd like to keep it that way.
They give out a (non-aggregatable) /48, which is IMO almost 100%
pointless (not a /64 like you mentioned).

| Any suggestions or pointers to how to go about acquiring some
| numbers for the exchange would be appreciated.

As with your collegues at AMS-IX (NL), you will simply be left out in
the cold. When you approach a registry with a remark like you just
made, you will be told that you are no more special than any other
company that wishes to have their own globally routable space (call it
PI, call it TLA).

At current, at least in the region I am active in (RIPE), IXPs cannot
obtain address space without becoming dependant on a member. By the
way, neither can the RIR itself.

groet,
Pim

--