[6bone] Exchange Point Addresses

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:18:35 +0300 (EEST)

Pim, ww,

Please note that IX allocation is not meant to be "globally routable".  If
you accept that, you can get IXP allocation, at least in RIPE region.

Many IX's don't really need that (they only want addresses for e.g. switch
fabrics or p-t-p addresses, not for services).

IX, depending on how you build it, could have any kind of addressing you
want.  You could do private peerings and use addresses from either party.
But that is very bothersome if the technique is based on broadcast medium,
like Gigabit Ethernet.