[6bone] Re: routing concern

Petr Baudis pasky@pasky.ji.cz
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:39:41 +0200

Dear diary, on Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 11:03:55PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org> told me, that...
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 22:01:07 +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
>
> > And as the time goes on, people obviously tend to sacrifice the
> > tunnel peerings for native ones and the reliability improves. The natural
> > process.
>
> This is what we have been trying to do for the last couple of
> years, but without much success. The 6bone is still too unstable.
> Look at the OS mailing lists. End users are disabling IPv6 in
> their OS because it does not work.
>
> We don't need a stable IPv6 network tomorrow. We need it today.
> I doubt if we can make the 6bone stable very soon.

Again, this is not problem of 6bone, but problem of its users. They must move
from tunnel peerings to native peerings, and then they will also move from
6bone. When you will cut out 6bone, you will just force them to move all their
tunnelled links etc to 2001::/16 space, polluting it terribly, making it
impossible to distinguish Bad Peers and Good Peers easily. And you will just
make situation worse in another part of IPv6 internet.

> Their is also the question what the current 6bone is supposed to
> be. Is it an IPv6 network that evolves in a globally production/
> commercial stable IPv6 network? Or is it becoming a network for
> doing IPv6 related experiments? We may need such a network in
> the next few years for doing (possibly disruptive) testing
> (multihoming, completely new addressing and/or routing, etc.)

I believe that it's both. It evolves in a globally production IPv6 network as
much as its members will evolve in commercial stable IPv6 providers, however as
they will evolve, they will move to native links and to 2001::/16. And then
6bone will be left free for those strange geeks playing with sci-fi
technologies ;-). And _then_ the 6bone delegation and routing policy should be
changed, and peering with newly delegated 6bone delegations (the old ones will
hopefully just devolve by time) should be crafted carefully, and generally no
transit should be routed through them.

--

				Petr "Pasky" Baudis

* IRCnet operator                  * FreeCiv AI occassional hacker
.
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a
kind word alone. -- Al Capone
.