[6bone] Re: routing concern

Randy Bush randy@psg.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:37:17 -0700

> The 6bone is still too unstable.  Look at the OS mailing
> lists. End users are disabling IPv6 in their OS because it does
> not work.

it has cost me days!

> We don't need a stable IPv6 network tomorrow. We need it today.
> I doubt if we can make the 6bone stable very soon.

ever.

tunneling may be good for a very tentative experiment.  and it can
be politically useful.  but for anything production-like, it simply
does not have anything like the reliability and scale needed for
real use by folk just wanting their packets to be delivered.

> Their is also the question what the current 6bone is supposed to
> be. Is it an IPv6 network that evolves in a globally production/
> commercial stable IPv6 network?

i hope not, as it just can't technically and operationally do so.

to learn the difference between a router as a forwarding engine,
and a router as a tcp stack, just run a tcp stack tester against
a cisco on a local lan.  and this is why multi-hop ebgp sessions
break so easily.

randy