[6bone] Re: routing concern

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:47:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

> 	from my experience, peers over tunnels are not reliable, as
> 	- they usually do not enforce enough route filters
> 	- they usually are not serious enough about IPv6 (if they are serious,
> 	  they should have been paying for IPv6 circuit)
> 	- they (the network itself, or the contact person) disappear without
> 	  notice
> 	- tunnel itself is not stable enough due to IPv4 troubles

Talk about overgeneralization.  Do you always paint with that
broad of brush itojun?

"they usually do not enforce enough route filters"

- Filters belong on both INGRESS and EGRESS.  You are just as responsible
for filtering as they are.

"they usually are not serious enough about IPv6 (if they are serious,
they should have been paying for IPv6 circuit)"

- It must be nice to receive funding from 9 different organizations.  Some
of us don't have that luxury.

"they (the network itself, or the contact person) disappear without notice"

- Contact disappears, depeer.  Network disappears, automatic
depeering.

"tunnel itself is not stable enough due to IPv4 troubles"

- v4 connectivity in Japan that bad eh?  Ya know, if you were SERIOUS,
you'd have OC-192 from *your* edge into MULTIPLE peering points in the US
and UK.  I guess it's time for all of your v4 peers to drop you, huh?

> 	so my suggestion to sTLA holders are, (1) install RFC2772-based filters
> 	to all of your EBGP routers, and (2) shut down tunnels.

Damn.  And I thought that the elitists were all v4 based.

>From RFC2772:

  "The organizations receiving prefixes under these newer TLAs would be
   expected to want to establish peering and connectivity relationships
   with other IPv6 networks, both in the newer TLA space and in the
   6bone pTLA space. Peering between new TLA's and the current 6Bone
   pTLA's MAY occur, and details such as transit, and what routes are
   received by each, are outside of general peering rules as stated in
   this memo, and are left up to the members of those TLA's and pTLA's
   that are establishing said peerings. However, it is expected that
   most of the rules discussed here are equally applicable to new TLAs."

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
EnterZone, Inc            | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |