[6bone] Re: routing concern

itojun@iijlab.net itojun@iijlab.net
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:53:56 +0900

>> As I said before, the 6bone is the right place for this. Has anyone been
>> hurt? Anyone lost money? The lessons we collectively learn each time
>> someone messes up a route are far more valuable than the consequences of
>> messing up the route.
>
>Is it time to start making a clear distinction between IPv6 production
>and IPv6 experimentation/learning? I think today the 6bone is used for
>both.
>
>Many use IPv6 for their daily work *). We *need* a stable network for
>that.  If we don't do that we risk scaring people away from IPv6. Most
>OSes support IPv6 nowadays. When an enduser starts using IPv6 for the
>first time and she notices all kinds of networking problems, many will
>think: "OK, let's turn off IPv6. It does not work."

	i completely agree with the above.  many of the Japanese ISPs are now
	selling IPv6 traffic commercially (yes, we do charge money), and
	people do depend on us.  therefore, we (IIJ) need to provide stable
	network to our customers.  our policy is to never peer over tunnels
	(i still have a couple of tunnels which will be shut down soon).
	we use tunnels within our AS, but not toward other ASes.

	from my experience, peers over tunnels are not reliable, as
	- they usually do not enforce enough route filters
	- they usually are not serious enough about IPv6 (if they are serious,
	  they should have been paying for IPv6 circuit)
	- they (the network itself, or the contact person) disappear without
	  notice
	- tunnel itself is not stable enough due to IPv4 troubles

	so my suggestion to sTLA holders are, (1) install RFC2772-based filters
	to all of your EBGP routers, and (2) shut down tunnels.

itojun