[6bone] 2001:478:: as /48

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:39:33 -0700

> Bill Manning wrote:
> Such an aggregate will never exist, from the holder of
> 2001:478:: Only people who proxy aggregate will see such.
> I guess that it is useful to note that This thread was to
> point out that under no legitimate circumstances should
> anyone see the aggreagate 2001:478::/35 since all the
> delegations are of /48 or /64 and are to number exchanges
> and other infrastructure.  I'd like folks to understand
> what accepting /48s in this range will mean. I'm not asking
> you to accept them. I'm asking you to -NOT- accept the
> aggregate.

I will create this aggregate myself (rather, configure a static route to
it on each tunnel) if I decide to implement RPF checks and want my
traceroutes working.

> That is precisely what I'm asking -NOT- be done. There is
> no transit facility that will get you to all the exchanges
> numbered out of this range.  e.g.
>   2001:478:200::/48   MAE-West
>   2001:478:1199::/48	MAE-Frankfurt
>   2001:478:39::/48    IX-SauPaulo
>   2001:478:1202::/48  CNIX-Beijing

The question is: Why do you need a transit facility that will get you
all the exchanges? I am sympathetic with the problem IXs (and other
people) are having, but do keep in mind that by breaking PA you are
shooting yourself in the foot regarding the availability of a
longer-term solution.

Michel.