Little Problem

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:34:33 -0800

Paul,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> I am dual-homed (IPv6) to two different pTLAs (Viagenie and Caladan).
>> I have BGP peering with both using a private BGP ASN (#65432).
>> Although there are ways around that (complicated ones), the main reason
>> it actually works is because nobody else is using that ASN.

> Paul Aitken wrote:
> At least, nobody else at Viagenie and Caladan ;)

Correct. However, if everyone did that, we would quickly have collisions
among the 1,000 or so available private ASNs. I do not think pTLAs have
a srong interest in maintaining a list of private ASNs they peer with.

>> World, please take note: ASN #65432 (easy to remember) is no longer
>> public but now the exclusive property of Michel Py.

> No it's not.

Nice try, no cigar.

> You just need to arrange this with Viagenie and Caladan. They
> should be filtering routes that use private ASN's so those ASN's
> can be reused elsewhere.

I think they do.

> Having said that, I do see a few private ASN's in use: 64700, 65001,
> 65302, 65304, 65305 and 65525. Hmmm.

In the 6bone context, I do not see a problem with that, but it does not
scale at all. If BGP is to be used in any form or fashion for IPv6
multihoming, we will soon need 32-bit ASNs.

Michel.