Little Problem

Marc Blanchet Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:46:26 -0500

-- vendredi, janvier 11, 2002 20:30:54 -0800 Michel Py
<michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote/a écrit:

> Robert,
>
>>> Marc Blanchet wrote:
>>> another twist on the same line, trying to help:
>>> you could use private AS numbers to do peering for some reasons
>>> however, to be a pTLA, then you need an allocated AS number, unique,
> so
>>> that your routes are tagged to you on the global routing table.
>
>> Robert J. Rockell wrote:
>> Optimally, if we follow *current* aggregation rules, one would never
>> need an ASN, except in pTLA situation, as different block allocated
>> per upstream 'provider'... so static routing works fine. Just my $.02
>
> This is not correct. By looking at my own situation:
> I am dual-homed (IPv6) to two different pTLAs (Viagenie and Caladan).
> I have BGP peering with both using a private BGP ASN (#65432).

I need to look at our configuration (I no longer daily managing it: I'll
check and come back about it)
but normally, we (your peer) should not advertise a private ASN to the rest
of the world,
(i.e. you routes should not be specifically advertise with this AS)
so are you sure that you are really multihomed in the global routing table?
if yes, then you got a free ticket that may not stay long... ;-))

Marc.

> Although there are ways around that (complicated ones), the main reason
> it
> actually works is because nobody else is using that ASN.
>
> World, please take note: ASN #65432 (easy to remember) is no longer
> public
> but now the exclusive property of Michel Py.
> How easy, I did not even have to register for it hehehehe.
>
> I have missed the beginning of this thread (maybe it started on a list
> that I di not subscribe to), but in the current situation people that
> are NOT pTLAs still need an ASN if there are multihomed.
>
> Michel.

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie
tel: +1-418-656-9254x225