IP V6 overhead

Yaron.Oppenheim@ecitele.com Yaron.Oppenheim@ecitele.com
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:06:43 +0200

Hello,
I am new to the forum - so first of all I would like to say Hello.

Secondly I wonder if someone can explain to me the following:
We are using the IP network for IP Telephony (VoIP) . Currently we are
doing it by using IPV4
At IPV4 we are sending packet every 20 ms. The length of the payload is 160
bytes (without compression) and the overhead is 78 bytes (IP, UDP, RTP, L2
& L1). With IPV6 the overhead will be much larger because of the IP address
fields.
So we will reach a situation where the overhead will be much larger than
the payload and the required bandwidth will be increased.
How such a problem is solved at IPV6 ?
Regards,

Yaron Oppenheim